The Metropolitan Cathedral of Iasi is a famous building erected in the XIXth century (1833-1886). Its foundations were laid on the same place were two older churches had once stood: the "White Church" (XVth century) and the church of the Presentation of the Lord (XVIIth century).
The decision to start the construction of the new Cathedral was signed in 1826 by Prince Ioan Sandu Sturdza. Due to several predicaments that occurred afterwards in the city of Iasi (fire, pestilence) the beginning of the construction was postponed. The construction works started in 1833 by the endevour of Metropolitan Veniamin Costache. Johann and Gustav Freiwald designed the plans of the church in the neoclassical and renaissance style. This same style has been used for many great chruches in West European countries.
Inside the Cathedral, the neoclassical sobriety of the architectural elements meets the iconographic style, which is a bright synthesis of spiritual realism bringing together the Orthodox ‘hermeneia’ and the Italian academism. Master Gheorghe Tattarescu (1818-1894) reached here the climax of his artistic creation, due to the refined appearance of the lines and colours, and also the imagistic richness.